Falcons 2019 - 2020

Langton Green Falcons 2 Sevenoaks Diamonds 3

Sunday 6th October - 2pm ko at Bennett 3G

The Falcons came down to earth with a bump after last Sunday’s emphatic win over Kent Youth League opposition. Although the boys played some nice football in patches and created more than enough chances to have put the game safely to bed, too often they were second to the ball against a determined, physical Sevenoaks side.

Having had the best of the first half hour, the Falcons gifted a soft goal to go one nil down, before Dan B levelled the score minutes later with a fierce cross-shot. The best move of the half came shortly before the break as Kyle set off on a mazy run and fed Max, whose shot was tipped onto the bar, and Joey couldn’t quite force the loose ball in.

Some battling play by Ben and a rare left-foot finish gave the Falcons the lead 10 minutes onto the second half. But despite making a few more good chances, the boys couldn’t extend their lead and gradually Sevenoaks started to get a grip on the match as the Falcons flagged. With 15 minutes to go, a long ball caught out the Falcons’ defence and the score was level at 2-2.

Then a couple of minutes before full-time the Falcons got caught again, failed to clear the ball, and were 3-2 down. And that’s how it finished. So an important lesson that talent and ability won’t win matches unless they are matched by equal levels of effort and determination, particularly when the boys aren’t in possession.

The Falcons have the ability to beat any team in the league, and with 15 games to go they have plenty of time to set things right and challenge for the title, hopefully starting next Sunday against Tunbridge Wells Youth Steelers.


Langton Green Falcons 4 K Sports 0

Sunday 29th September - 2pm ko at Bennett 3G

After last season’s Kent Cup run, which included two wins against Kent Youth League opposition, Sunday saw the Falcons start this season’s campaign up against another KYL team. Wearing bibs (long story) and with a traffic cone for a corner flag, the Falcons played the first half against driving rain and a strong wind. The first half was very even as the Falcons contained play well, not allowing K Sports any clear shots on goal.

The best chance came for the Falcons just before half time as Wayne’s cross was steered just over the bar by Harry. With the wind at their backs, the Falcons started the second half strongly. This time Harry won the ball on the left and slipped it across to Wayne, whose crisp shot nestled in the bottom corner of the net. 1-0

The Falcons were now dominating, and after 20 mins John chased down a long ball on the left wing and swung a wind-assisted shot (cross?) over the keeper from a narrow angle. 2-0

Joey nearly found the net twice. Then Max picked the ball up 25 yards out. Never in doubt. 3-0.Kyle came close with a shot after one of his mazy runs. It was all Falcons possession. And a few minutes from the end Josh won the ball on the edge of the box and found the top corner. 4-0.A really strong performance and well-deserved win, with the Falcons playing the conditions perfectly - keeping the first half tight then using the wind to their advantage in the second. Great credit must go to the defence, with Harv and Jack masterful in the centre and Lewie and Dan B putting in great shifts from full back. Dan C made a couple of good blocks but was largely untroubled.

The midfield were excellent throughout, with Charlie and Max anchoring, and Kyle, Wayne and Tom always threatening. On the flanks Harry and John controlled the left and Josh and Luca the right. As lone strikers, Joey and Ben ran their hearts out and set the tone for the team. And apologies to Dec, who made the journey but fell foul of this season’s five subs maximum rule. Let’s hope this is the start of another good cup run - whoever draws us in the next round should be worried.


Langton Green Falcons 8 Sovereign Saints 1

Sunday 22nd September - 10am ko at Langton Rec

A league cup first round tie against Crowborough C Division opposition brought a rare outing for the Falcons at Langton Rec. The Falcons were without Dan B, Charlie and Tom, but gave debuts to John and Declan, both from last season’s all-conquering U18 Langton Jets side. Sovereign Saints arrived late after their long trek from Eastbourne and encounter with the Langton Green road closures, so the match was reduced to 80 minutes, with 20 mins extra time if needed.After three minutes, Harry’s superb corner flew straight into the net, meaning extra time was unlikely to be needed. 1-0. Kicking up the slope, Langton piled on the pressure but the sights were slightly off as shots flew just over from Joey, Lewie and Kyle, while Harry had another in-swinging corner headed off the line. After 25 minutes of pressure, a cross from a well-worked short free-kick found Luca’s head, and his goalbound header was well saved by the right hand of a defender. Penalty and no option for the ref but to produce a red card. Joey tucked away the pen for 2-0.Joey and Luca combined again shortly afterwards with Luca hooking the ball over the keeper for a Joey tap-in. 3-0.At the other end, Harv and Jack were calmly sweeping up any Sovereign Saints attacks, with Dan making a solid block on the one occasion the opposition did break through. No more goals came in the half despite some lovely flowing moves and Captain Max heading just wide on the stroke of half-time.3-0 at half-time. The second half saw the Falcons piling forward down the slope. Kyle set off on a trademark run and slipped the ball to Ben, who was bundled over from behind in the box. Ben hauled himself up to dispatch the penalty. 4-0.Minutes later a Declan cross was bundled into the net as Ben battled the defender. Ben’s goal. Definitely. 5-0. Dan nearly opened his account for the season with a huge goal-kick, just tipped over by the opposition keeper. Then a rare blip in defence as Dan and Lewie got in a tangle and let the SS striker in for a consolation. 5-1.John obviously wasn’t impressed because he ran straight down the other end and slotted calmly past the keeper for a debut goal. 6-1. An injured Josh was able to come on to give his sore thigh a work out at right back. Lewie had shot after shot but couldn’t hit the target. Dec and Wayne were dominating centre midfield, and another goal came when Dec slipped the ball to Ben, who found the corner of the net for his hat-trick. 7-1.There was just time for John to feed Dec for another debut goal as his 20-yard shot nestled in the net. 8-1. Credit to Sovereign Saints, who battled hard for the best part of an hour with 10 men, and forced Dan to produce a couple of sharp diving saves.So a comfortable passage for the Falcons to the next round of the cup, with no injuries to report after some hard tackling from a determined opposition side. Hopefully the finishing practice will have helped for the tough matches ahead, starting with a Kent Cup game vs K Sports next weekend.


Langton Green Falcons 4 Heathfield & Horam 2

Sunday 15th September - 10am ko at Groombridge

Needing to get a win on the board after their opening defeat last week, the Falcons lined up on a glorious Groombridge morning with Charlie pushed up to anchor the centre of midfield behind Max and Kyle, and Tom starting as the lone striker.

The pattern was set with the Falcons having most of the possession and H&H playing on the break, and creating the first chance of the match, requiring a sharp save from Dan. Gradually the Falcons took a grip despite losing Josh to injury, and after 10 mins a sweet ball from Tom caused panic in the H&H box, which Harry exploited to block the keeper’s clearance and tap the ball in for 1-0.

H&H continued to threaten on the break, but 10 mins later the Falcons doubled their lead as Lewie’s determination saw him win a ball 30 yards out, drive towards the box and hit a swerving shot that the keeper couldn’t turn round the post. Chances came at both ends, with H&H rattling the bar. Then on the half hour the Falcons made it 3-0 after a great run and cross from Luca was turned back into the middle by Harry, and Luca was there to knock home. H&H were still creating chances, and Harv and Jack had to be on their toes to snuff them out, while Dan had to make another couple of important saves. At the other end, Kyle was showing his creativity and Joey and Ben battled hard but couldn’t create a clear chance. Then with the final kick of the half, Harry swung a perfect corner under the bar and Dan B leapt like a salmon to nod home.

So 4-0 at half time and the job should have been done for the Falcons, so long as they didn’t get complacent in the second half. But the lads were slow out of the blocks, allowing H&H a tap-in in the first minute after Dan had saved. 4-1.

H&H were showing great determination to get back in the game, and chances were being created at both ends. Then 20 mins in, H&H won a header from a free kick, their striker controlled and hit a snap shot that gave Dan no chance. 4-2 and the Falcons suddenly needed to show cool heads to see out the game. Charlie and Max had to dig in to secure midfield, Wayne used his strong running as an outlet to relieve the pressure, while Luca set the tone with a 20-yard sprint and tackle to stop a potential H&H attack.

Some half chances were created but none were taken, and the Falcons were able to see the match out despite playing the last 10 minutes a man down after Joey had his first, and hopefully last, taste of the sin bin. All in all a deserved three points to open the Falcons’ account for the season. But lessons have to be learnt from the second half that the intensity and concentration must be maintained for a full 90 minutes at this level.


TW Foresters Colts 2 Langton Green Falcons 0

Sunday 8th September - 2pm ko at St Greg’s 3G

Match reporter: Steve Conn

A new season dawned for the Falcons, now as U18s and the senior team representing Langton Green. How they’ve grown from the cute little things we used to watch chasing a ball around Langton Rec.

The pre-match chatter was how the Foresters team had played many pre-season friendlies (6, 10, 12?) so were likely to be out of the blocks quicker than a scratch Falcons squad. But this didn’t prove to be the case as Simon’s pre-season bootcamps showed their benefit, and the Falcons had the better of a tight first half.

Many very good chances were created but sadly none were finished off, with Dan having a quiet half in goal but for one excellent diving save. So 0-0 at half time and a nagging fear that so many missed chances would come back to bite the team. The hot afternoon duly appeared to take its toll on the Falcons and the second half was a more even affair, but still tight with few chances at either end.

After 15 minutes Foresters broke down their left and a nice strike gave Dan no chance. The Falcons continued to battle and create opportunities, but still with no end product. The boys switched to 3-4-3 for the last quarter of an hour but couldn’t fashion a clear chance. Then with the Falcons chasing the game, Foresters counterattacked and created an overlap down their left. A nice finish and the Falcons were 2-0 down with a couple of minutes to go, and no way back.

So a defeat, but with many positives. The overall performance was good but the result shows the importance of taking your chances at this level. New boys Charlie and Tom, both winners of the Crowborough U18 league and cup with Langton last season, fitted in seamlessly, as did fellow new recruit Wayne. Dan’s shoulder injury didn’t affect him, and he made a couple of superb saves. The back four of Dan B, Charlie, Harvey and Lewie looked like they’d played together for years and used the ball well going forward. In midfield, Captain Max and Kyle formed an effective partnership in the middle, combining strength and guile, and created several good chances. On the flanks Harry, Josh, Wayne and Jack worked hard all afternoon and always looked dangerous going forward. Luca showed his usual tenacity and threat moving between wing and attack. And up front, Joey, Ben and Tom worked tirelessly - the goals will come if they keep up the commitment and work-rate.

Next Sunday provides a chance for the Falcons to get up and running in a home match against old rivals Broad Oak (now rebranded as Heathfield and Horam).